Why Aluminum Plate?
Once you know the facts the choice is obvious.
- Aluminum plate combines light weight, high strength, easy workability, and acceptable cost in one package.
- Aluminum plate doesn’t leak, doesn’t soak up water, doesn’t delaminate, doesn’t deform under heat in normal service.
- Aluminum plate is non-flammable and non-combustible
- Aluminum plate is light weight and zero maintenance
- Aluminum plate compared to other materials gives better fuel economy and range.
Aluminum plate, as defined by the Solas standards (safety of life at sea) is non-flammable and non- combustible. Because of this, aluminum plate vessel’s can be made to comply to new more strict I.M.O. commercial boat regulations that are nevertheless appropriate for all ocean going vessel’s. These rules demand structural fire protection (containment of fire in a particular compartment by the vessel’s structure only without help from firefighting systems) and multiple watertight compartments. While watertight bulkheads can be built in composite yachts, structural fire protection is problematic, since composite (fiberglass) cannot meet the relevant standards. While these new rules are mandatory for high-speed commercial boats in international service only, a yachtsman planning a long cruise, far away from land, can see the advantage of a vessel that’s sink-and-fire-resistant.
Boatbuilding in aluminum plate is a straightforward process using easily tested, time-proven materials and methods. A proper weld in plate aluminum is at least as strong as the metal it joins, so an aluminum vessel, including frames, stringers, gussets, bulkheads, deck, sides, wheelhouse, become essentially a one-piece structure. Welds comprise only about 3 percent of the structure. The other 97 percent is aluminum plate.
Today, the rules and regulations of boatbuilding in aluminum plate has reached an even higher level. Under new federal laws here in Canada, the ministry of transportation will require the builder to meet construction standards for small vessels under 5 tons (tp1332).
The EU requires CE certification on any vessel built in Canada and shipped overseas.
CBW boats are already achieving all these stringent guidelines in boatbuilding.
CBW hulls are tp1332 approved and CE certified.
CBW’s reputable history of building quality aluminum plate boats will easily match or exceed other products in this specialized class.
Over 3000 satisfied customers from around the world trust Custom Boat Works!